Or, Subtitled: “A pidle of land lieing at beare lane nowe in the teanure of the same John”
John Whitlock, father of Richard Whitlock (abt. 1583 – 1642) of Wokingham, Berkshire, England, and London, was born around 1509. We can estimate his birth year as around 1509 on the basis of information provided by his nephew Sir James Whitlocke (1570-1632) in James’s history of the Whitlock family entitled Liber Famelicus. In his opening statement in this book, James Whitlocke states that he began writing Liber Famelicus 18 April 1609. About his uncle John Whitlock, James writes that John was a son of James’s grandfather Richard Whitelock (d. 1556): he states,
Or, Subtitled: “I Richard Whitlock Citizen and Merchant of London”
Richard Whitlock (abt. 1583 – 1642), father of Richard Whitlock (1616-1666), was born prior to 12 December 1586, when his father John Whitlock made his will at the Holt estate, the dower house of Beches manor, at Wokingham in Wiltshire. Though most of Wokingham is in Berkshire, at this point, the Holt house was in a detached part of Wiltshire that comprised part of Wokingham. John Whitlock’s will states that his son Richard was the youngest of John’s sons, and was, along with brothers Clement, De la Beche, and Thomas, under 24 years of age. Richard’s birth year has been conventionally estimated as “about” 1583. A brass memorial plaque for Richard’s wife Katherine Burchett/Brechette Whitlock on the north chancel wall of All Saints church at Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, England, states that Katherine died 2 April 1649, aged 54, which would give Katherine a birth year of 1595. That birth year is confirmed by the baptismal register of the church of St. Gregory and St. Martin at Wye, County Kent, which shows Katherine Byrchet, daughter of David, being baptized in that parish on 18 May 1595.
Or, Subtitled: “This Mr. Whitlock was a man of wit & learning”
Richard Whitlock (1616-1666), son of Richard Whitlock and Katherine Burchett and father of James Whitlock (1651-1516) the Virginia immigrant, was baptized 17 November 1616 at St. Peter le Poer church in London. St. Peter le Poer, which no longer stands, was on the west side of Broad Street in the city of London. The church was of medieval origin and was rebuilt from its medieval foundations in 1540 and 1792, in the latter instance according to a design by Jesse Gibson. The church was demolished in 1907.